1. Home
  2. Attractions
  3. Chiang Mai
  4. Wat Chedi Luang

Wat Chedi Luang

Posted on: 26th February 2016

Chiang Mai is regarded as the second city of Thailand and is also one of the most significant culturally. Its historical roots go back to the later part of the 13th Century when emerged as the capital of Kingdom Lana; Wat Chedi Luang is one of its many historically important gems. Located at a distance of 5.8 Km from Chiang Mai Airport, this place can be reached in a couple of minutes via route 1141. Renting a car at the Chiang Mai Airport will facilitate one to cover this as well as all the other major attractions of the city in a better and a cost-efficient manner.

Wat Chedi Luang Facts

‘Wat Chedi Luang’, an ancient Buddhist temple, was built in 13th Century and is stated that the current temple grounds were originally shared by three temples namely Wat Chedi Luang, Wat Ho Tham and Wat Sukmin. Wat Chedi Luang has a Lanna-styled Chedi which though is not grand but is certainly taller than the renowned Wat Phra Singh. Moreover the famed ‘emerald Buddha’ was also part of this temple till 1475 which now resides at Wat Phra Kaew in Bangkok. The other interesting fact is that the place holds a replica of the emerald Buddha which was gifted to the temple on its 600th anniversary in 1995 by His Majesty.

chiang-mai-wat-chedi-luang

Wat Chedi Luang was probably one of the largest structures in Chiang Mai back in 13th century but with time it began to degrade and ultimately lost its top sometime in 16th century. Earthquake or cannon fire during the second seizure of Chiang Mai by Burma in 1775 are stated as the possible causes. Wat Chedi Luang ruins were restored in 1990s when a project by UNESCO and Japanese government was launched.

Highlights

  • Four Naga stairways
  • Stupa whose base has five elephant structures, one of which is original made of brick and stucco whereas remaining ones are reproductions
  • Phra Chao Attarot- the standing Buddha statue with his two disciples
  • Làk Meuang: the city pillar that is said to be constructed in 1296 by king Mengrai

Opening Time: 6am – 6pm

Related Blog Post